How’s that for a little walk down memory lane on a Monday morning?
Three is also, apparently the number of times I need to make a pattern before I’m satisfied with the fit enough to wear it out. It happened with my Anna over the course of a year. Today, it happened with Emery!
I wish I could say my story was evolving or changing in some way, but it still goes like this:
“Wow! This pattern looks awesome on so many people. It’s so simple! Awesome! Ok, so I’ll trace off my best guess, add an FBA, and see where things are. WTF?! This looks horrible. I must have done something wrong. Let me start with another size. WTF still awful. Screw this. I’m going back to something stretchy. Where’s the ice cream?”
One year later…
“Maybe I should try it again! I fit into the size 6 measurements reasonably well. NOPE. Let me go back through all 500 (that may not be an exaggeration) versions that Roisin has made and see what she started with because she looks awesome. I mean seriously, though, look at those mushrooms. I die. I’ll just do some swayback action and shorten the bodice and see what’s up with the bust later. Not awful, just a little tuck here and we’ll be okay. Alrighty then, let’s sew this up and see what happens…BAM! This pattern is amazing!”
Anyone else? No? Whatever, it’s clearly a workable strategy for me.
Now, before you get all fitting police on me, I know this version is not perfect. I had to take an emergency dart out of the armscye, which didn’t show up on the muslin I made before I cut into this fabric. Whatever, I don’t care, this fabric is perfection and I needed to make it work. Noone but us sewing people will notice that stuff anyway. I’ll just wear my hair down and stand up real straight.
In case you didn’t guess, the saga of the Emery was kind of epic for me (as all sagas are, I suppose) as I now have a bodice that fits really well and is crying out for some quirky prints. I made 3 (MORE) adjustments to the pattern for the next version I’m sewing up, so I think I’ll be set after that!
There’s not much else to say other than I’m SO GLAD I worked this one out. Expect lots more in the future. I’ll leave you with the saga of fitting below if you’re interested. If not, border prints for the win!
Pattern: Emery by Christine Haynes
Fabric: I think I got it on fabric.com like 3 years ago. Good Luck.
-Shortened the bodice 1in.
-1in. swayback adjustment
-Shortened darts 1/4 in.
-Made waist darts bullet-shaped at 2 in. below the bust point
-increased neck dart width by 1/2 in. total (1/4 in. on each side)