Hey there! Hope you’re all enjoying your Valentine’s Day if you choose to celebrate. If not, hope you’re enjoying whatever it is you do.
I am not really celebrating much as my Mr. is at work, but I do (finally) have a new dress to share. I finally got over my boycott of indoor photos, setup my tripod, and snapped a couple in honor of having an extra day off work tomorrow.
For the past three years or so, I’ve had the tradition of barely finishing my Christmas dress in time for Christmas, wearing it to Christmas Eve dinner, and then never blogging about it. This year, maybe I’ll start the tradition of blogging about it on Valentine’s Day. Or eventually. Whatever.
Anyway, this is a mashup of the Emery bodice with the Veronika skirt (which is FREE!). I also altered the back of the bodice to include a cute little v-back for a little break from all those bows.
The fabric was given to me by my own personal fabric godmother, Sally, and sat in my stash for like 8 months before deciding that it would be the most perfect Christmas dress ever. I sewed most of it up here in Chicago, then finished it in New Jersey a few hours before leaving for dinner. I held my breath the entire time I sewed that hem on the ancient kenmore I keep in New Jersey. the stitches are a bit wobbly, but that hem is SMOOTH.
Truth be told, it’s a little big. The fabric is a stretch twill and I anticipated it being a bit big. I wanted a little extra room for Christmas dinner, so I just took in an extra 1/2 in at the side seams instead of tracing a full size down. I probably should have just gone with the full size down as the shoulders and waist are a bit big, but what’s done is done and I’m rolling with it.
I moved the darts over/shortened them about 1/4 in for this version, as I found my last versions to be a bit too pointy. I think this solved the problem. The neck, sleeves, and hem are all finished with bias tape and the dress is unlined. I also undid my previous armscye adjustments to add the sleeves.
That’s all I really have to say about this one! I’m going to try to post a tutorial for the v-back in the near future. It was pretty easy, and I think it’s a totally cute way to make my Emerys a little different (since there are SO MANY).
Hope you’re all staying warm!
Pattern: Emery bodice and Veronika Skirt
Size: 4 // S
Adjustments: See this post for Emery Adjustments, Shortened the Veronika by about 8 inches.
Fabric: Stretch cotton twill from Sally (which I think originally came from Mood)