So you guys have heard me talking all about Tilly’s Mathilde blouse, and the Anthropologie top that inspired me in my make. I even had plans to post a tutorial on the modifications I made to the pattern. Well, maybe I shouldn’t be talking about things before I make them…
It was all going along beautifully: I was using a beautiful floral fabric from my stash to replicate all those embroidered flowers, my pintucks looked great, and the yoke was too cute. And then, I tried to set in the sleeves. They were a NIGHTMARE. Now, I know that I must have done something wrong, and that it’s not the pattern because if you take one look at Tilly’s maker gallery, you can see that no one else has had issues.
Anyway, I go to set in the sleeves, and can’t make them fit properly. I unpicked the left sleeve 3 times, decided that it didn’t have to be the most perfect thing on the planet, ran the seam allowance through my serger to finish it, and ended up with a hole in my sleeve and a weird crease at the top. So, I was like: breathe, it’s okay. I’ll just run it through the serger again and it will nip off the bit that’s creased and seal up that hole–there’s plenty of space in those sleeves anyway. NOT.
What I failed to consider is that the sleeves are attached to the yoke, which runs right across my rather ample chest. Taking out that extra 1/2 inch on each side made the top waaaaaay too tight across the chest, pulling at the pin-tucks and making it look like I tried to wear a skirt as a tube top or something. Cute on someone with a small chest. Not so cute on me.
Needless to say, I’m pretty upset with myself over this one. The top was seriously going to be beautiful.
But, I’m a silver-lining kind of girl, so here’s what I learned:
- It’s okay to heavily modify a new pattern to include some design elements that you want to replicate. Just as long as you plan it out first. This was the first time I went into a project with a plan other than oh, here’s the fabric, and here’s the pattern: go! Drawing out and conceptualizing my make was a lot of fun, and it was really satisfying to see my modifications happen the way I wanted them to.
- If the sleeves are giving you trouble, maybe you should just re-cut them. It’s better than loosing the whole garment.
- Stop buying things based on how much you like them on others; buy what suits you instead.
Anyway, my new-found desire to modify patterns beyond recognition has inspired me to turn my Cation Top into a comfy polka-dot jersey dress. In my head, it looks great. We’ll see how it looks on my body…who knows; maybe you guys will even get a tutorial out of this one 🙂
Happy weekend everyone!