Once upon a time, I let you all in on a little secret: I don’t own a white shirt! We took a poll: should I make one? Should I just make a dress instead?
The results were divided. I thought about it, but I’ll be honest with you. I really wasn’t planning on making a white shirt. Like, ever.
Then, something magical happened! The lovely Katie (of Papercut Patterns) sent me an email. Turns out the sewing gods really did want me to sew a white shirt after all. She had a new collection coming out with a button up pattern in it! I jumped (and did a little happy dance around my apartment) at the chance to test for her, because as you all know, I’ve sung Papercut’s praises high and low around these parts and I’m pretty much obsessed with all things Papercut.
And, as it turns out white blouses aren’t so bad after all. Especially when they’re of the Meissa sort!
I cut a size XS and took out about an inch in the shoulders and 4 inches from the length. Apparently, all that thinking made me forgetful, because I forgot to shorten the sleeves! If I make this again, I’ll definitely be shortening them a bit! Thankfully, the cuffs are nice and snug, so they don’t fall past my wrists 🙂
The fabric is a cotton gauze with polka-dots woven in. It was really, really perfect for this top. You definitely need a fabric with a bit of drape to accommodate the yoke gathers. This was great because it was also sturdy enough to hold the details of the collar and cuffs really well. I tried to match up the front…but I’m not sure what happened! When I went to sew on my buttons I was about a half-inch off. Haha it’s close enough for me 🙂
The buttons are green and gold Czech glass (as the owner of my local fabric shop informed me). I could have easily gotten some basic white ones…but I needed a pop of color! I used larger ones down the front, and two tiny ones on each cuff.
I’m also really excited that I didn’t have to make any adjustments to the bust. One of the things that really puts me off about a lot of blouses is that they are supposed to be fitted along the bust line. I waxed poetic during Show off Your Skivvies about my bra-fitting woes. Let’s just say that they frequently spill over (haha no pun intended) into fitting my tops.
The yoke gathers mean no darts to adjust, and really easy construction. Honestly, I was really nervous about the “fiddly” parts of construction. I’ve never made a button-up before, never sewn cuffs, and never made a “real” collar (I’m not counting the peter pan sort). The instructions were really great, and I had ZERO issues.
I’m already planning all sorts of other versions. I think this would be so cute with a contrast yoke!
PS if my skirt looks familiar, it’s Sigma which is also part of Papercut’s new collection. More on that soon 🙂